Trading Standards Service    



Performing Animals Registration

Why is a licence required?

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority [see note below]. Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in.

How to apply

  1. Apply Online

  2. Or, you can download an application form using the link below.
    Performing animals registration application form 

Is there a fee?

The current fee for registration is 20. There is no charge for changing an existing registration.

Can I assume my licence is granted if I don't hear from Gloucestershire County Council within a reasonable time?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of submitting your application please contact us.

Is there an appeal process?

Please contact this authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local magistrates' court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

Note: If you have no permanent residence registration should be with one of the following prescribed local authorities:

  • City of London

  • County of London

  • Cities of Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Kingston-Upon-Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle-on-Tyne

  • County Boroughs of Plymouth and Southampton.


Our contact details

For licensing enquiries please use our enquiry form


A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Trade Associations

The International Marine Animal Trainers' Association

The Association of Circus Proprietors of Great Britain



Gloucestershire Trading Standards, The Tri-Service Centre, Waterwells Drive, Quedgeley, Gloucester GL2 2AX


For Businesses . For Consumers . Scams . News . About Us . GCC 


This page was last edited on 23/07/18